Sunday, February 2, 2014

Chicken Quesadillas with Butternut Squash (not a freezer meal)

One of my favorite recipes is from Jessica Seinfield's cookbook "Deceptively Delicious."  This isn't a freezer meal, but I'm gonna prepare some of it today and then just assembly everything tomorrow.

I can't find the recipe online, and I'm not going to type it word for word from the cookbook.  So, here's my version:

1. First, you need to cook and puree a butternut squash.  (I already have some in my freezer from last time I made this.)

2. Cook some chicken (whatever amount works for your family.)  Cook it anyway you want.  You can add some taco seasoning from here, if you want.

3. After the chicken is cooked and cooled some, chop it up in a food processor.  I have a mini chopper like this one that I use.  Leave the chicken in a small bowl and set aside.

4. Put 1 can of white beans (chickpeas, northern beans, whatever you want) in the chopper.

5. Mix the chopped beans with some sour cream.  Don't know the amount of sour cream.  Whatever you feel like! :)

6. In another bowl, mix some shredded cheese into the squash puree.  You should now have 3 different bowls of quesadilla filling.

7. Spread some of the sour cream and bean mixture on one side of a whole wheat tortilla.  Put some of the chopped chicken on top.  Then spread some of the squash and cheese mixture on one side of another tortilla.  Put that tortilla on top of the chicken.  The sour cream mixture and squash mixture will stick together.

8. Bake everything at 350 degrees until the cheese melts.  When the cheese melts, it will hide the squash and the sour cream hides the beans.  This makes 4 quesadillas (using 8 tortilla shells all together).

9. Let them cool slightly before cutting them into triangles. Since this isn't a freezer meal, I do steps 1-6 the day before.  Leave everything in the fridge until the next day when it's time to assemble everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Menu for October 4- 10, 2024

Friday, October 4-- Pizza and salad Saturday, October 5-- CCU game! Sunday, October 6--  IP Chicken and Gravy ,  roasted carrots , rice Mond...