Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Tips and Tricks for Freezing Meals

I realized that I haven't really given you any pointers on how to freeze and defrost and all of that jazz.  I've just been copying and pasting recipes! :)

On the day I'm doing my prepping, I kick the kids out of the kitchen (in a very lovingly, sweet way) and get down to business.  Some sites tell you to chop all the veggies first, label all the bags at the same time, and fill all the bags at the same time.  I can't do that.  It confuses me.  I have to do one recipe at a time.  Also, I get distracted by the same kids that are supposed to be leaving me alone and forget where I am in the process.  If I'm just working on one recipe at a time, it's easier to get back on track.

So, I write the instructions on a Ziploc bag first.  And put the bag inside the pitcher.  Like this:  (Adam was so impressed the first time he saw me do this.  "You thought of that?  That's awesome!"  And then I had to tell him it was indeed Pinterest's idea.  "Yeah, that makes more sense."  Thanks for your confidence in me, Babe. haha)
Then I chop any veggies and put them in the pitcher first.  Then I add any liquid or spices to the pitcher.  I add the meat last.  (Trust me on this one.  Add the meat last.  Otherwise, it might not fit.)  I use frozen meat or fresh.  I'm gonna freeze it all together anyhow, so frozen meat is fine.  Don't thaw raw meat and then re-freeze it.  You can't do that.  Just leave it frozen and throw everything in the bag together.

The night before I want to eat the meal, I take it from the freezer and put it in the fridge.  In the morning, it's usually still a little frozen.  I spray my crock pot with cooking spray and force the meal out of the Ziploc bag into the crock pot.  Sometimes I have to cut the bag some to get it out.  It's ok.  I'm fine with that :)

I leave for work around 6:30, so I leave a note for Adam to turn the crock pot on when he leaves around 7:00.  Our crock pot turns off when the time is up, and turns to a "warm" setting.  Because we leave so early and get home around 4:00, I always turn the crock pot to "Low 8 hours" and then let it sit in the "warm" setting until time to eat.  MOST of the time, it's fine.  Occasionally, when I come home the food is burnt. (Actually there's just one recipe that burns when I leave it on all day). Sometimes when I get home, I turn the crock pot off and let the food sit without "warming."  And then I just re-heat it if it gets cold.  Sometimes I feel like the "warm" setting is still cooking the food.  If you're afraid the food is going to burn, add more liquid in the morning when you turn it on. 

Some meals don't require the crock pot.  I will tell you what to do with those when I post them.  Let me know if you have questions! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Menu for October 4- 10, 2024

Friday, October 4-- Pizza and salad Saturday, October 5-- CCU game! Sunday, October 6--  IP Chicken and Gravy ,  roasted carrots , rice Mond...